Friday, May 21, 2010

Halter Top with Built-In Bra


I'm really excited about this tutorial! Sewing Dork provides instructions for making a halter top with a built-in shelf bra, similar to those used in bra camisoles and tanks.

I love the look of halter tops but my rather large bust makes wearing them...rather difficult. Instead of a strapless bra, I might try this tute. Now obviously, the larger your chest the heavier it will be so a halter tie might bother your neck. You might also want to reinforce it a bit to make sure it can do the job.

Still, the pattern can once again use your own measurements (I think a post on taking measurements is in order) and you can modify it as needed for your own body type. The seams are simple and no fancy stitching is required. Another option? Instead of halter ties, cut a longer piece of material for the straps and attach either end to the back top. That removes the pressure from your neck.

1 comment:

  1. I've yet to meet s shelf bre that works for me. That being said, i have a tank with such a thing that I'd like to try to alter so that it actually works. I think it needs to be tighter and maybe have the straps shortened. I may not get to it until after I've had some sewing practice though.

    ReplyDelete